Once upon a time, the shimmering, light-reflecting scalps of bald men were perceived as a dare gone wrong, reason for pity and parody or straightforward hair loss. Fast forward to the 21st century, and you’ll find that sporting a bald look is indeed an active lifestyle choice, and one that is leading the way in the laws of attraction.
A research study conducted by the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania indicated that baldies were more attractive, confident and dominant. Participants of this study—male and female students were asked to rate images of men across three different categories, and the bald folk took home the gold for several reasons.
When looking for the best ways to wipe your scalp clean-literally, you’ve really only got two choices i.e. with a manual razor or an electric shaver. Choosing between the two however is a matter of personal choice, but an electric shaver does offer some clear advantages including convenience, cost efficiency, performance and safety. In a rush? Jump to our consolidated 2019 Best Head Shavers review!
Tool Tip: Some of the noteworthy perks of using the best electric shaver for men include its faster, doesn’t require any shaving cream, gel or soap and minimizes the chances of cuts or ingrown hairs. However, if you’re looking for an electric razor that can work in the shower, you should definitely check out the 3 models reviewed in this new post.
Even though it may be tempting to buy a cheap electric shaver, you should ideally invest in one that’s specifically designed for a heavenly head shave. That said, we’ve checked out several options in this space, and bring you the lowdown on 5 best electric shavers with a few great alternatives for head shaving.
The 5 Best Electric Shavers for Head Shaving
In an effort to find the best electric shaver, we focused mainly on:
- Ease of use
- Battery life
- Included accessories
Without further ado, let’s take a look at 5 best electric shavers for a smooth, clean bald look.
Contrary to what the name might suggest, the Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro takes no shortcuts when it comes to shaving your scalp clean. Founded in 1937, Remington Products is a leading manufacturer of electric shavers, razors, hair care products and epilators for both men and women.
The Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro electric shaver is distinct from other products in the company lineup, and even other tools in its segment. For starters, it boasts a compact footprint, which allows it a joy to use even when shaving across longer periods.
When on the shopping trail, you will often come across tools that are equipped with straight blades, which in most cases do not contour well to the shape of your head.
The Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro however is appointed with curved shaped blades, which mold evenly on your scalp for optimal bald shaving. One of the biggest reasons it makes it to our list of 5 best electric shavers is its ergonomic design, which basically makes it easy to cut hair and easily follow the lines at the back of your head, neckline, and around the ears, without any hiccups.
You can find the manual for the shaver using this link
What’s in the Box?
- Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro shaver
- Charging adapter
- 9 length combs
- Cleaning brush
- Storage/travel pouch
Pros of the Remington HC4250
Apart from being easy to use and remarkably innovative, the Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro rings in with several key features including:
- Washable design for easy maintenance – can be washed easily under the faucet
- Extra wide and curved Power Blade System that contours easily to the angles of your head
- Can be used corded or cordless
- Extremely quiet, so you can shave without waking up your neighbors
- Rubberized grip provides great control especially when shaving the back of your head, neckline and around ears
- Premium quality ground blades cut through the thickest hair with a smile, while reducing snagging and pulling for a comfortable shaving experience
- Powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which when fully charged after roughly 4 hours offers 40 minutes runtime
- Lightweight at just 1.2 lbs
- Package includes everything you need to get started—9 length combs and even a storage pouch
- Can be ordered in three different styles
- Backed by a limited yet impressive 5 year manufacturer warranty
Cons of the Remington HC4250
- Battery life of 40 minutes isn’t outstanding, but remember you’re shaving your head not using it to mow the lawn so it is more than sufficient. Just as a site note, you can get an outstanding 17 days of shaving time if you’ll purchase the Philips Norelco 4100 model reviewed in this post.
Remington HC4250 Price:
The price of the Remington HC4250 can be accessed from this link on Amazon, where it could be available at a discounted price. However, even without a discount, the price is great considering that it is a top of the line head shaver for men.
If you’re looking for a sharp tool for that sharp bald look, the Wahl Professional 5-Star Balding Clipper is worth exploring. It measures 6.25 inches and tips the scales at just 1 lb. Further, it boasts a sturdy design, so you can rest assured it will provide you with several years of shaving pleasure.
This rotary balding clipper is a step above its highly successful predecessor — the Wahl Professional Taper II, with the only difference being that it is designed to give you a close bald shave with its integrated surgical blades.
Powered by a V5000 electromagnetic motor, the Wahl Professional 5-Star Balding Clipper has the right amount of power to get the job done with ease. It offers almost the same bald shaving performance as the Remington HC4250 Electric, but is a corded model albeit with a rather long 8 foot, chemical resistant cord.
What’s in the Box?
- Wahl bald clipper tool
- 3 trimming attachments
- Cleaning brush
Pros of the Wahl Professional 5-Star Balding Clipper
- Aesthetically pleasing design
- Powered by robust V5000 motor that cuts at twice the speed of pivot motors
- German-milled Titanium cutting blades with a self-sharpening design
- Rounded clipping attachments for a comfortable bald shaving experience
- Professional grade, 8 foot, chemical resistant cord
- Operates at 120 volts/60 hertz
- Red blade guard
- Comes with 3 trimming attachments, cleaning brush and oil
- Limited warranty against manufacturer defects
Given that the blades of most if not all electric shavers may get dull after a long period of use, you may want to buy a set of replacement blades.
Wahl Professional 5-Star Balding Clipper Price:
The Wahl Professional 5-Star Balding Clipper is available at a very attractive price, which is an excellent deal especially considering its performance when shaving your head.
The Andis 17150 Profoil Lithium as you might have guessed uses the best of foil technology to render a fresh, clean bald shave. Powered by a class leading lithium-ion battery, the Andis Profoil Lithium shaver when fully charged is able to sprint for more than an impressive 80 minutes, which makes it a great choice for both home and commercial use.
What gives the Andis17150 Profoil Lithium electric shaver a distinct edge over its competition is the staggered position of its foil heads, where the second one cuts a bit close to the first resulting in a closer shave. Crafted from grayish polymer and measuring a compact 4.75 inches long and weighing 0.2 lbs, the Andis 17150 is lightweight, convenient and portable, and is considerably less frustrating to use when shaving in the tight corners behind your head.
What’s in the Box?
- Andis 17150 Profoil Lithium bald shaving tool
- Dual volt charger
- Blade guard
Pros of the Andis 17150 Profoil Lithium
- Measures 4.75 inches long and weighing 0.2 lbs
- Made from high quality grayish polymer
- Superior lithium-ion battery powers the tool for a whopping 80 minutes on a single charge
- Cordless and corded operation
- Excellent choice for dry shaving
- Can be ordered in a choice of three different models—gray with cleaning brush, with bonus foil assembly and gray without cleaning brush
- Backed by a 2 year limited warranty
Cons of the Andis 17150 Profoil Lithium
- Not designed for wet shaving
- Does not come with a storage pouch
Andis 17150 Profoil Lithium Price
The Andis 17150 Profoil Lithium without cleaning brush model can be ordered for an enviable price, making it a great choice compared to other products in its segment.
If you’re looking for an electric bald head shaver that rings in with almost all the bells and whistles, don’t think twice about buying the Philips Norelco QC5580 shaver. Unlike other electric head shavers in this list, the Norelco QC5580 is not a standalone tool, but instead is a combination of utilities that allows you to shave your head with the included head shaver attachment or cut your kid’s hair using one of the 14 onsite length settings.
The Philips Norelco QC5580 is fitted with high quality, self sharpening stainless steel blades that are washable for easy maintenance. Further, it is appointed with a 180 degree rotating head, which makes it rather easy to shave the most difficult areas with ease. This cordless electric shaver for men is powered by a lithium-ion battery, which when fully charged provides up to 60 minutes of spaghetti (wire) free runtime.
What’s in the Box?
- Philips Norelco QC5580 shaver
- Head shaver attachment
- Power cord
- Hair combs
- Storage case
- Cleaning brush
Pros of the Philips Norelco QC5580
- Package includes head shave attachment
- 180 degree shaving head to reach tight spaces
- High quality stainless steel trimmer blades
- Choice of 15 integrated length settings from 0 to 15 mm
- 1 hour of quick charge provides 60 minutes of cordless use
- Can be washed for easy maintenance
- Onsite locking ability prevents the comb from moving
- Self sharpening blades means no oil needed
- Rounded and skin friendly comb and trimmer
- Backed by a 2 year warranty
Cons of the Philips Norelco QC5580
- A little on the expensive side, but allows you to shave your head and also cut your kids hair right in the comfort of your home.
Philips Norelco QC5580 Price
The Philips Norelco QC5580 is not the cheapest electric shaver available, but still remains a preferred choice owing mostly to its blistering performance and features. If the QC5580 isn’t in your price range, maybe opt for the Norelco 4100 model reviewed in this post.
The Pitbull Silver Shaver is somewhat of an all rounder in this space for several reasons starting with its IPX5 water resistant capabilities, which makes it ideal for shower use. It features a durable, cordless design, and works great for both bald head and face shaving. Adding to this, the Pitbull Silver Shaver is powered by a 600mAh rechargeable battery that lasts for roughly 30 minutes when fully charged.
If that’s not enough time to shave your head, you can always opt for the Pitbull Platinum Skull Shaver, which is fitted with a massive 1400mAh battery (and you even get a storage pouch, premium LED numerical charge display, rinse stand, travel lock and wash indicator) that is good for 90 minutes runtime. There’s even a low level battery indicator on both models that lets you know when it’s time to plug it in to replenish their juice.
The Pitbull Silver Shaver showcases a reflective black exterior finish, and a carver blade design, which helps shave faster and smoother, and conforms well to the shape of your head. The size of the final drive gear is also 22 percent larger for increased hair cutting torque to the blades, and the larger cutting area allows you to shave more in less time.
What’s in the Box?
- Pitbull Silver Shaver tool
- Wall charger
- Pitbull essential blades
Pros of the Pitbull Silver Shaver
- Powered by 600mAh that takes roughly 1 hour to charge for 30 minutes runtime
- Corded and cordless operation
- Can be used in the shower
- Carver blade design
- Lightweight at just 8.8 ounces
- Large cutting area and 22 percent larger drive gear
- Ergonomic design for a comfortable grip and reach
- Fitted with 5 large, flexing shaving heads that let you shave in any direction including forward, backward and in circular motion
- Backed by a 1 year warranty
Cons of the Pitbull Silver Shaver
- Does not come with a travel case
Pitbull Silver Shaver Price
The Pitbull Silver Shaver can be ordered for an appealing price, but discounts may vary across retailers on Amazon
Best Electric Shaver for Men Buying Guide
Now that you’ve decided that a smoothly shaven scalp is right for you, the best way to achieve this attractive and dominant look is with none other than an electric shaver. If you still aren’t sure of the advantages of sporting a bald head over a mop, these clear benefits should get you over the fence.
- Hides male pattern baldness or receding hairlines.
- Say goodbye to bad haircuts and bad hair days.
- Makes you look younger sometimes as much as 10 years.
- Eliminates the hassle or washing and styling, and expensive trips to the salon.
- May boost your career.
- There’s a lot of cool and powerful bald people think Michael Jordan, Bruce Willis, Jeff Bezos and the Dalai Lama.
Shaving the Head vs. Shaving the Face
Before setting out to buy the best electric shaver, it is first important to understand that shaving your head is not the same as shaving your face. The biggest difference between the two is the fact that your face has almost flat surfaces compared to the large, spherical shape of your scalp.
Next, you often don’t get a clear view of what you’re doing (unless you strap on a GoPro) when shaving, and you have to reach behind it sometimes in an awkward position, so you need a shaving tool that’s versatile.
Considering these issues, you want to buy an electric shaver that can not only conform to the curved areas of your scalp, but also cover large areas. Further, it should provide you with a great grip helped with an ergonomic design so that it is easy to hold and use when reaching behind your head.
Aspects to consider when Shopping for the Best Electric Shaver for Men
- Type of Electric Shavers– Electric shavers are generally available across two categories—foil electric shavers and rotary shavers. Rotary shavers are fitted with blades that cut in a circular motion, and follow the curves of your head as you shave. Foil shavers are a preferred choice for sensitive skin, since they feature a metal foil on the shaving head that draws the hair inwards toward the cutting blades.
- Corded vs. Cordless Models–Electric shavers can be had in both corded and cordless models, where the former are powered by plugging them in to an AC outlet, and latter with usually a rechargeable lithium ion battery or the likes. The time it takes to replenish battery juice in cordless shavers varies across models, where some can take an hour and others overnight. Once fully charged, the best electric shaver offers between 40 and 50 minutes+ of shaving time, which is sufficient to achieve a clean, bald look. If however a corded shaver is your tool of choice, then you will want to give some thought to the length of the cord. Some cords are short and designed only for charging, but if you want to move around freely with the shaver, you should opt for one with a longer cord.
- Wet vs. Dry – Some electric shavers can be used when wet i.e. with shaving gel or foam or even in the shower. But submerging them in water is not recommended.
- Ease of Use – The best electric shavers should not only provide you with a comfortable grip when shaving, but also be easy to clean and maintain. Some of the best electric shavers can be easily rinsed under a tap of water, while others may need more attention with oils and brushes.
- Accessories – Most top of the line head shavers are ready to go right out of the box, and come with a wide range of accessories so that you can get that bald look in no time and don’t have to buy them separately. Common electric head shaver accessories include blade guards, charging adapters, replacement blades and cleaning brushes and oils.
- Warranty – Since electric head shavers aren’t something that you buy often, consider buying a model that’s backed by a warranty against manufacturer defects. This however can be overlooked if the respective electric shaver for bald head shaving comes from a big brand stable.
Tips on Shaving your Head Bald with an Electric Shaver
- Get the angle right – Try and hold the bald head shaver at right angles to your head, and use your free hand to guide you along the way, so that you don’t miss any spots.
- Keep cool – you and the shaver – Given that these are motorized head shaving tools, they may generate some level of operational heat. This may cause irritation especially on sensitive areas such as your neck, so it’s best to tackle these areas first while the shaver is cool and ensure you don’t go over the same spot repeatedly.
- Patience is a virtue – Shaving your head may take some time to get used to especially if you’re doing it for the first time or switching from a manual razor to an electric head shaver.
Haven’t found what you’re looking for? Feel free to drop us a line in the comments box below or visit our more recent review using this link.